You are in: Home  >  About Gorzanów
Result of the tender procedure
Inquiry No. 1.5_3
Result of the tender procedure

Gorzanów - litografia z 1739r.
Gorzanów - 1739 litography

One of the nicest and most interesting places in the Land of Kłodzko on the Nysa Kłodzka. Geographically it lies almost in the center of the Kłodzko Land. Gorzanów has been known since the early Middle Ages. It has long been valued as a place of outstanding leisure and rest qualities. For more than 100 years this popularity has grown due to the discovery of the local mineral springs in the 2nd half of the nineteenth century. In 1895 there was an active bottling plant which collected water from the Weber Quelle spring. It produced about 300 thousands of bottles of water per year. In 1341 the village was firstly mentioned with the name Arnoldisdorf. Then the name was changed into  Arnsdorf or "Arnoldi villa". In 1670 it acquired the name of "Grafenort". Then after 1945 it obtained the name of Gorzanów.

Beautiful and forested lands attracted citizens of nearby towns. They were looking for peace and haven in the shadows of forests and at the banks of Nysa Kłodzka. Gorzanów is rich in monuments, one of them is the Saint Mary Magdalene Church. The Church is in a good condition, which proves the worth of its hosts. The impressive church tower was the first lit in the Kłodzko Land.

The town was not a part of the royal estate, so-called demesne. In the early middle age it  became a private estate. Among the owners were well-known families such as Muszyn and Raczyn. However, after thirty years’ war the estate was confiscated due to the favoring the Czech Rebellion. It was then when the estate was for a short time in the hands of Wrocław Bishop Karol. He sold the estate to Johan Arbogastov von Annenberg for a "magical" price of 52525 thalers.

Kartusz herbowy przy głównym portalu
Heraldic cartouche at the main portal

In 1636 the new owner was given a title of the Mayor of Kłodzko County. After his death, his daughter Maria, who was the successor of the estate, was married to Johann Fridrich von Herbestein. He was related to Styrian noble family which were for a long time connected with Habsburgs (one of their member was a well known diplomat in 16th century. He traveled to Moscow as a intelligencer, he wrote down his account of it).

The castle and the surrounded lands of Gorzanów were in the hands of Herbersteins for almost 300 years. This had its impact on the name of the town – Grafenort – which means Count’s Settlement. The Count wanted to obtain city rights to Gorzanów. He almost succeeded.

However, the strong opposition of the nearby town of Bystrzyca Kłodzka and others town made it impossible to achieve. It was the Count who establish, first in the Kłodzko County or maybe even in Silesia, a palace garden which was of an architectural oddity. It was a rotunda (the garden was modeled on the structure in Schonbrunn near Vienna). The count was a religious man, he funded in the nearby forest the Saint Anthony chapel. The chapel surrounded by many statues and roadsides shrines has attracted pilgrims and tourists. The count’s government turned to be strong for the local people. They staged a rebellion against him. Later it was said to have been the most major rebellion in the history of Kłodzko County.

Kaplica św. Antoniego
St. Anthony Chapel

In the beginning of the 19th century thanks to the count Hieronim von Herberstein’s  passion the court theatre was set up. It was open within 8 months in the year (from September to May), with three performances per week. The repertoire was rich in various plays, ranging from the plays by Shakespear, Goethe and Schiller to drama, musical plays and small operas. Karol von Holtei, a well-known poet, dramatist, artist, director and Poland’s admirer was an artistic director of the theatre. In his works there are many reference to Gorzanów, its citizen and its nature. After his death the theater was closed (1847). Even though, the theatre was famous for much longer. At the end of 19th century Gorzanów more and more became a famous summer resort.

In the 1920’s the Mysteries of the passion of Christ took place in Gorzanów. It was a spectacular event, played many times. About 5 thousands of people could gather in the castle park. 150 actors and extras played together on the stage. The plays attracted many pilgrims and tourists to Gorzanów.
Since 1930 the castle band has been under the rule of Bystrzyca Kłodzka town.

In that time Gorzanów was a popular, well governed summer resort. It was famous for its beauty for more then 100 year. It had an opinion of being the most beautiful country in the Kłodzko Region.

Gorzanów was not damaged during the Second World War. There were no military operations in the Kłodzko Region. However, the civilians had to go through "resettlement action" according to the "treaties".  Polish people were expelled by the Russians, and together with Germans were forced to leave their homes and homelands.

Kościół św. Marii Magdaleny
St. Mary Magdalene Church

Gorzanów is located near the international route to Vienna and Prague. It lies 9 kilometers of Kłodzko, and 7 kilometers of Bystrzyca Kłodzka. It is the biggest village in Bystrzyca district. The village has a population of 1200. The people work mainly in local plants (mineral water bottling plant in particular).

In Gorzanów there are many shops, there is also a Primary School, a Health Center, a Post Office, a Train Station (which exists since the end of the 19th century), a public library and a restaurant. In the center of the village there is a castle park with an area of 6.5 ha. In the park there are many specimens of native and exotic trees (some are over 300 years). There are many spectacular views on the Bystrzyckie Mountains and Śnieżnik.

In 1999 the old music concerts took place at the castle and in the church. It happened during the First National Chamber Music Festival of Young.

In 2000 Gorzanów Admirers Society was founded. The citizens want to restore the former splendor of the village, using the richness of monuments and values of Gorzanów waters. The waters that have been produced here since 1892 year!


The entire content devised and designed by Robert Duma.